Wednesday, August 31, 2011

GETTIN' THE LED OUT

Click on the picture to see it larger.

When I was 14 I had my first great love affair with Rock and Roll. And it was with Led Zeppelin.
Aside from the occasional Neil Young record or The Who, I listened to Zeppelin exclusively from my freshman year in high school through my junior year or whenever Nirvana's Nevermind came out.

Growing up in a religious fundamentalist, strict household, I was grounded to my room quite a bit and I spent endless hours drawing with Zep on my Walkman headphones. Of course that was illegal too, as Page had made a deal with **Satan (which was a bonus for me) but the plain fact was, they rocked!
** Jimmy Page lived in alleged Satanist Aleister Crowley's house, whose autobiography I relished, hidden inside my school text books, better to get busted for reading that at school than at home!

In fact, Rock and Roll in general was forbidden, being the devil's tool and all. I spent large portions of my meager paper route money replacing cassette tapes that had been confiscated and thrown out by my mom.
Looking back 20 odd years now, I realized two things, John Paul Jones was probably the coolest thing about that group and despite the overtly sexist, borderline racist tones, they still rock!




1 comment:

  1. Zach, these are fantastic!
    Will you be realeasing them as a print in the future? I'd love to get a set.
    When I was 14, I found Houses of the Holy and Cheech Wizard/Deadbone comic books in the same week, a really great experience growing up, I can completely relate to your story.
    Take it easy,
    B

    ReplyDelete